Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Passion for Persimmons

Recently, I read an online list of the nutritional value of a variety of fall produce, and was disappointed that my favorite was missing.

See, I have this thing for persimmons. I remember making persimmon cookies once as a young child, but my love really found root in college. A nice girl who lived in a nearby apartment gave me some persimmons that she had brought back from her family’s farm. I couldn’t get enough of the crisp, fresh taste of the sweet orange orbs. It was this friend who taught me that, unlike almost all other fruits and vegetables, black spots on a persimmon are desirable, a sign of ripeness and sweetness.

Persimmons are native to the Philippines and China, so when I lived in Hong Kong, I blissfully munched on persimmons all fall and into early winter. As you may know, there are two types of persimmons. I prefer the less bitter Fuyu variety, perfect for eating raw, which looks like this:

File:Persimmon-oliv2.jpg

There is also the bitter variety rich in tannins known as Hachiya, which is inedible until ripe and even then, best using in cooking/drying:

File:Hachiya1.jpg

Hope you get a chance to enjoy persimmons this season as much as I already am! I walked into my local produce market and there they were. Happy Autumn to me!

P.S. Tomorrow we are off to Portland to celebrate our 1 year anniversary! I’ll be back with much to blog about, no doubt!

4 comments:

  1. I once bit into an unripe Hachiya. It is something I will never forget... Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an awesome time in Portland! I am super jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!