Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Tale of Two Sacramento Restaurants

I wanted to blog about two restaurants I have visited lately. We have been trying to eat at home lately, so going out feels like a genuine treat and we choose our destinations carefully. The first stop was the new location of Bacon & Butter, which moved from midtown to Tahoe Park.


 We really liked the modern industrial look to the interior of the restaurant. 
 

I'm currently on a break from sugar, which prevented me from ordering the baked goods listed on the whiteboard pictured below. But it wouldn't have mattered anyway- they were already sold out by the time we showed up for lunch! They have been doing a brisk business since re-opening and were already sold out of several menu items as well.
 
 

It being lunch, I went for the burger, which was amazing, topped with greens, crispy onions, jack cheese and quality bacon. It also came with a thoughtful, fall-inspired salad featuring local produce.

 
Our friends went a more traditional route with Pear-Pecan French Toast (made with gorgeous, fluffy bread) and a fall-produce stuffed omelette served with one gorgeous autumny fruit salad.  

 
Conclusion: If you haven't been to the new location yet, check it out. Come early if you want the baked goods and full menu selection, but be prepared for lines if you come during peak hours.

Moving on, our next stop was The Cultured & The Cured, a real fromagerie and charcuterie. In other words, all they sell here is cheese, cured meats, and other bits that go well with them! We came here for lunch to try their menu of cheese-oriented offerings.
 
 

First, the cheese! They have an impressive selection for such a small shop.
 

Next, the cured meats and extras:
 

They also have some baked goods that were calling to me...
 
And some really fun, unique finds to compliment your cheese boards:
 
We deliberated over the menu and finally choose two sandwiches and a cheese board. The cheese boards are ordered by category (cow milk, sheep milk, goat milk, washed rind, blue) and come with a few tasteful additions besides toast crisps. Our selection was the Monger's Choice and included cow milk and goat milk cheddars, and both a mild and a strong blue.It was a lovely selection, and I would love to return and try them all!

 
I didn't remember to take a picture of my sandwich until my side salad was gone and I was halfway done, but it was a toasted panini filled with turkey, cheese, and Hungarian peppers for a little heat. So, so good.

 
Conclusion: Run, don't walk, here if you consider yourself a cheese connoisseur. 

1 comment:

  1. How do you do? I love your cheese board. I just finished dinner, but I really want to put the triangle blue cheese in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!