Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In the Midst of It

Here we are, in the throes of summer, and we have completely let our garden go. With the whole moving process, we just don't have time to weed it at this time, so it's survival of the fittest out there. Here are some honorable mentions for the year to this point:

Black Krim tomatoes have been total champs. They were the first tomatoes to ripen, taste excellent, and have produced consistently week after week. (Unlike several other heirloom varieties that decided it would be a fun joke to flower but never set fruit. Grrrrrr.)
My San Marzano tomatoes are pretty much awesome. I love the way they look, like creamy eggs that slowly turn red.
The zucchini and two types of squash continue to function as the workhorses of the garden, and I'm not even tired of the zucchini yet. The yellow squash on the other hand...

Things may be starting to slow down, but there are still a few things I'm looking forward to from this garden:
Walla Walla Onions

Amish Sugar Pie Pumpkins. There appear to be about 100 of these guys in our garden, all pale yellow and lying in wait. Come fall, we're going to have pumpkins coming out our ears, but that's ok. I'm already imaging making dishes like Pumpkin Doughnuts, below:



1 comment:

  1. You're growing onions? So jealous! I want to garden but I always think about it way too late in the season. Sigh... next year?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!