Monday, February 11, 2013

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

When it comes to cheap meals, beans and rice is a favorite around here. We usually do a Cilantro-Lime Rice and Cafe Rio Black Beans, which are amazing by the way, but take a little bit more effort than my pregnant self was quite willing to muster up tonight.

For this Meatless Monday, I opted to try an easy-looking Cuban Black Beans with Rice. I was pleased to find that the recipe was not only quick (ready in about 30 minutes), but came out looking almost exactly like the picture. I used brown rice instead of white, and instead of radishes, I topped ours with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. 

This meal was a good reminder to me that sometimes the simple things in life are the most satisfying. I want to be sure to remember this recipe the next time I'm in need of a dead simple and delicious dinner.

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

1  cup brown rice
1  tablespoon  olive oil
1  onion, chopped
1  bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2  cloves  garlic, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
1  teaspoon  ground cumin
2  15.5-ounce  cans black beans, rinsed
1  teaspoon  dried oregano
1  tablespoon  red wine vinegar
4  radishes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I used a dollop of plain Greek yogurt as a garnish)
1/4  cup  fresh cilantro 

Directions

Cook the rice according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.

Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans, oregano, and 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Add the vinegar. Smash some of the beans with a potato masher to thicken. Serve over the rice. Top with the radishes and cilantro. Makes 4 servings.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so good! I'm actually eating less meat so this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had beans and rice in far too long. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll make this for lunch. Your Greek yogurt idea is a good one, but that's coming from a person who tops just about everything with the stuff. Thanks for adding a simple and delicious looking dish to my life, Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love any opportunity to mix black beans and rice together. This is a great change to my usual combos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!