Monday, April 25, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Whole Grain Waffles




Remember back in the 90's when mom's freezer was always stocked with frozen Eggo waffles? Maybe that was just me, but anyway- I liked the apple cinnamon kind the best. I've been experimenting with a couple of different whole grain waffle recipes and adding in fresh grated apple and spices. The whole grain flours make these much more substantial and filling than the lightweight Eggo waffles that never filled me up for long. Also, I found that when I froze a big batch of these guys and heated them later in the toaster oven, they made a great healthy stand in for the Eggo's of my childhood. In this fashion, I was finally able to Leggo my Eggo.

Whole Grain Apple Cinnamon Waffles
In a large bowl, mix together:

2 c. whole wheat
½ c. buckwheat flour
½ c. oat flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. In a separate smaller bowl, mix together:

3 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoons vanilla
¼ c. olive oil

Next, stir this wet mixture plus 1 grated apple into the large bowl with the dry mixture. Stir until just combined and let sit for 5 minutes while your heat your waffle iron. Pour desired amount of batter into waffle iron and cook until brown and crisp on the outside. Serve with real maple syrup. Makes about 16 waffles.

If freezing waffles for weekday breakfasts, place hot waffles on a rack to cool. When cool, stack in a ziplock bag and freeze. To use, place frozen waffles in toaster oven or toaster until heated through and crispy on the outside.

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!