Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes



Don’t you love it when you discover you really do like a food you thought you hated - and realize that you just never had a “good version” of that dish before? Pancakes were like that for me. I never much cared for the pancake breakfast events we attended while I was a child. The Bisquick pancakes served were dry, tough and bland- until you doused them with artificially flavored syrup that was too sweet and gave me a headache.

I fell in love with these pancakes, however. I wanted to find more uses for the package of oat flour I bought for another recipe, and on the back of the Bob’s Red Mill label I found a recipe for oatmeal pancakes. They came out light, fluffy, with some chewy texture from the quick oats and a mild, pleasant flavor. Drizzled with a little real maple syrup and topped with sliced strawberries, I was in weekday breakfast heaven.

Next time I would double the recipe, because as it is, it yielded 10 medium-sized pancakes. I'd like to freeze a bunch and re-heat them in my toaster oven for a quick breakfast throughout the week.

Oatmeal Pancakes

Recipe from Bob's Red Mill


Ingredients:
3/4 cup Oat Flour
3/4 cup Quick Rolled Oats
1 cup Nonfat Milk (I used almond milk)
2 T. Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
2 Egg Yolks, beaten
1 T. Vegetable Oil
2 Egg Whites

Directions:


In a small saucepan heat milk till hot; stir in oats; let stand for 5 minutes.

In a mixing bowl combine oat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add oat-milk mixture.

In a small bowl combine egg yolks and cooking oil; add all at once to flour-oat mixture, stirring just till combined.

In another bowl beat egg white till stiff peaks form; fold into the batter. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of the batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook till golden brown, turning to cook other side when pancake has a bubbly surface and slightly dry edges.

Use a 1/4 cup measure as a handy scoop for transferring pancake batter from the bowl to the griddle. If you want smaller pancakes, switch to a 1 tablespoon measure. That will put just the right amount of batter on the griddle for dollar-size pancakes. Makes 12 pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. Oats are good for your heart too! They're one of the few foods actually proven to un-clog arteries:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!