Monday, April 11, 2011

Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs


Traditionally in my family, Easter is preceded by hard-boiling the heck out of several dozen eggs, then dipping them in pungent vinegar solutions with funky wire devices. After the egg hunt is over, we spend several days eating pink- and blue-tinged egg salad for lunch, and snacking on deviled eggs. Very old-school, I know, but aren’t the best parts of all holidays old-school?

Just this week, I did some online research and finally figured out the secret to perfect hard-boiled eggs. I made a batch this way and the yolk came out bright yellow, no greenish grey ring around the yolk! The shell also peeled away perfectly, no tearing (although I know that this also has to do with the age of the egg, the older the better, for hard-boiling at least). I can’t believe the method is so simple. Just make sure to use small to medium eggs; if you use large eggs, the yolk may not cook hard enough for your liking. Here it is:

1) Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Do not salt the water. Bring the water to a boil.

2) Boil for 3 minutes.

3) Cover your saucepan with a lid and remove from heat. Allow to rest for 8 minutes.

4) Drain the hot water off and fill the saucepan with cold water to cool the eggs.

5) Eat eggs right away or refrigerate.

3 comments:

  1. Nice. I usually boil for 10 minutes and then run cool water over. They look good and taste good, but peeling is never fun. I'll have to try this and see if peeling improves and if I prefer the look and taste of the eggs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in time! I'm supposed to bring hard boiled eggs to school tomorrow!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I didn't know you could eat Easter eggs after decorating them...but then again I don't usually eat eggs anyhow;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!