Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Layered Salad

Photo from The Pioneer Woman


In the Midwest, a layered salad like this is a potluck staple, probably because it’s a hearty dish that can feed a crowd. While the ingredients vary from cook to cook, I like the idea that everyone can make it their own. Someone might substitute blue cheese for cheddar, while another might use ham instead of bacon. This is one flexible dish.

Personally, I wanted to make mine a bit lighter than the traditional version, so I used low-fat sour cream and turkey bacon. I added some basil to the dressing because I love the way basil pairs with tomatoes and I had some growing on my patio. I also discovered that my large eggs were not hard cooked all the way through when I cracked one open, so I nixed the hard-boiled eggs this time - and it was still delicious.


The amounts will vary depending on the size of the bowl you use.


Layered Salad
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman


1 head ice burg lettuce, shredded
2 c. baby spinach leaves
1 package bacon or turkey bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
6-8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
3-4 green onions, chopped
3-4 tomatoes, de-seeded and chopped
1 package frozen green peas, thawed


Dressing:
1/2 c. low-fat sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 T. Sugar
2 T. Basil, chopped


In a clear glass bowl, layer the salad ingredients in the order given. Mix dressing ingredients together and use a spatula to spread it over the top of the salad. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Toss just before serving.

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!