Friday, June 3, 2011

Newest Herb Acquisition: Cuban Oregano

We made our second trip to the West Sacramento Farmer’s Market last night. We bought:

- $8 half flat of super-sweet strawberries

- A bag of crisp snap peas for $2.50

- Flank steaks ($8/lb) from Lucky Dog Ranch, which I realized is the same meat they serve at the wonderful Roxy restaurant. Tonight we’re grilling it and making a stab at our first chimmichurri sauce. Looking forward to it!

- Two kinds of Oregano. I needed something replace the parsley that went to seed in the last month, as it typically does in the second year. I knew I needed to replenish my herb box, so I thought I would take a stab at oregano for the first time. The first plant I saw was familiar enough and looked like a baby version of this:




This is Greek Oregano, the typical kind grown.


The second is new to me : Cuban Oregano!



See how different it looks? The fellow who sold it to me said it was good to slice and put in a green salad. Does anyone have any suggestions for using this unique herb? Maybe I should try my hand at Cuban food.

3 comments:

  1. It's new to me. Let us know what you decide to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen Cuban oregano; it looks pretty, though. Definitely try cooking Cuban food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. great find! :-) I'll have to get hold for this guy. We Indians use Cuban oregano on our food and it had great health benefits.
    One thing you can try is making fritters.. super yum! Or you can chop it up fine and fold it ia cup of yogurt. Season it with salt and pepper. You can use it as a dip or as a dressing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!