Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fettuccine, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...


It was a cold winter Saturday and I had a bit of time at home on my hands. I decided that a nice plate of pasta with homemade sauce sounded fabulous, so I paged through my cookbooks. I decided on a recipe from a Real Simple cookbook I have for Fettuccine with Bolognese Sauce. It's not too complicated a recipe. The most unusual ingredient is the pancetta, but even that was easily procured from Raley's grocery. I tweaked it to make it non-dairy and cut out the wine, and it came out delish! Best of all, there were leftovers for lunch, as well as enough to freeze and use later. Sometime in the next 3 months, I'm going to have a really easy dinner waiting for me in the freezer.


Fettuccine with Bolognese Sauce

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 pound pancetta, chopped
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 cups beef broth
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tablespoon dried
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, then add the beef and cook until brown. Drain mixture and return to pan. Add the beef broth and the remaining ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with cooked fettuccine. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!