Sunday, July 18, 2010

Plum Compote

Photo Courtesy of 101 Cookbooks


Summer is now in full swing and nature's bounty is here for the taking. The boughs of my parents' plum tree were heavy laden with fruit this weekend. For an unknown reason, the plums of this certain tree are consistently hard and tart. Still, I couldn't stand the thought of all that fruit going to waste.

I did a little research and came up with a good use for the fruit, based on something I remember my grandma making from the plums she picked from the tree in her backyard: plum compote! You cook the fruit down with spices, citrus and sugar to your taste. This sauce is a nice balance of sweet and sour and can be served over dessert (ice cream) and also meat (such as pork chops) equally well.


Plum Compote

3 pounds red plums, quartered
1 1/3 cups (about) sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange - rind grated and juice
Water (I filled the pan to half the height of the plums. You may add more or less liquid, depending on how thick you want it)

Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Stir over low heat until plums are very tender and compote thickens, stirring often, for about 45 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool completely. Transfer compote to bowl, discarding cinnamon sticks.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remove the skins? My parents have cherry plums, but usually we have to remove the skins in cobblers or sauces or they get too bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love this atop some nice thick Greek yogurt. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!