Thursday, July 1, 2010

Michael Scott's Colored Greens


Michael: Colored greens.
Stanley: Collard.
Michael: What?
Stanley: They're called "collard" greens.
Michael: No, no. That's offensive. They're not called "collard" people.
- "The Office"

Think you don't like collard greens? This recipe might help you change your mind. I have had collard greens at many Southern restaurants. Sometimes they were bitter and distasteful to me; other times, so spicy that taking a bite lit my mouth on fire. I like to challenge myself every now and then, so when I found collard greens at my local farm stand, I bought a bunch with the goal of coaxing my green-disliking husband enjoy them.

Here is a recipe I adapted from the classic standard The Joy of Cooking, which can also be made with mustard greens. Here, the bitterness is balanced with a little sugar and vinegar, and there is just a slight heat from red pepper flakes. Try it next time you make fried chicken or BBQ - excellent with cornbread.


Collard Greens with Bacon

Wash thoroughly and chop into 1-inch pieces:
2.5 lbs. collard greens

In a large cast iron pan, cook until crisp:
6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces

Add the greens along with:
2/3 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 c. diced leftover ham (optional)
Red pepper flakes, as desired.

Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the greens are coated with fat. Cover the greens with chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until the greens are tender, 1 hour or longer. Stir occasionally and add water if they threaten to scorch. When the greens are done, increases the heat to medium-high and, stirring often, boil off nearly all the cooking liquid. Add:
1 or 2 dashes of cider vinegar

Season with:
Salt/freshly ground pepper
Sugar to taste.
Serve very hot.

2 comments:

  1. At work they put bacon in everything, and we joke (though it's true) that bacon makes everything better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So why aren't you fat yet?! JK, this is true. Gotta love bacon. Although I still haven't gotten the nerve to try the chocolate/bacon combo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!