Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Apricot Vanilla Bean Jam


We had a pretty good crop of apricots this year. I have eaten many whole; also, I froze a big bag of them, roasted them and topped them with honey marscapone, and made an apricot crisp. This week found me with a bag left, many of which were on their last leg, and many of which the birds had already begun nibbling. In other words, not the prettiest specimens, but still perfectly good for making jam.

Sheepishly, I must admit that this is the first time I have ever bought "vanilla bean" - or, more accurately, a vanilla pod with innumerable sticky seeds inside. All I can say in my defense is - $11 for one! One jar! One pod! Eleven dollars! Ouch!

My discomfort over the price melted away once the jam began simmering and the two independently delicious smells of vanilla and apricot began to intertwine and waft through my kitchen. And it was all but forgotten when I took my first bite of the finished product... Then licked the spoon, the pan, and spooned the leftovers over yogurt for dessert. This jam would be supremely divine over ice cream as well.

Sorry, but the amounts are approximate here, as I was mostly improvising and trying to use up what I had.

Apricot Vanilla Bean Jam

10 cups apricots, roughly chopped (approximate)
3 c. white sugar
1 vanilla bean, halved and sliced down the middle
juice of 1 lemon

Combine all ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon, until jam reaches the gel stage. Ladle into sterilized jars and process the cans.

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!