Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Midsummer Day's Dream

I'm currently reading Annie Dillard's "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek", a meditation on the majesty of nature. Only problem is, after a few pages of reading how magnificent the natural world is, I find myself running outside to observe it first hand! Look what I found in my own backyard (ok, my parents' actually....)


The pumpkins are taking over the garden! They're sweet varieties for pie-making, so come October there will be fresh pumpkin pie, oh yes! And look below, we've already got a big one!



Fennel! Finally came through. We thought these were carrots for quite a while.


First Brandywine tomato - I'm salivating already just watching it turn red!


Italian San Marzano tomatoes - Pasta, you are calling my name!


Pickling cucumbers! Woo hoo! Finally!


Apples - let's hope they're edible this year. They're sometimes very dry. Strange, huh?


Asian pears on the tree - we have a TON this year!!!


Dill - so pretty when it blooms


Plums


First harvest of wild blackberries. Totally worth the thorns!
Life is truly beautiful when you're outside!

2 comments:

  1. Wow wow and wow. This all looks so good. I'm hungry and ready to get outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet! Blackberries look great:) My pumpkins around about plumb sized at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!