Thursday, July 21, 2011

Caribbean Spiced Slow Cooker Ribs







I have this problem with ribs. It seems like all I have to do is see a picture of them and all of a sudden: instant craving. And it isn't like ice cream or some other craving where I can go to the store and buy fall-off-the-bone tender ribs slathered in BBQ sauce.

I know there are plenty of grilling experts out there who loving apply homemade rubs, place their ribs in smokers, ovens, on grills, tenderly dab sauce on them... This could take hours. Problem #2 is that I don't have that kind of patience for meat, especially in the summertime when the cooler I can stay, the better.

Solution: My trusty slow cooker. On a hot summer day, this recipe is a god send. It involves applying a simple rub to your ribs, slow cooking them all day, adding some BBQ sauce at the end, and before you know it, you've got tender, gooey ribs - all without turning on your oven once. Thank you to my homegirl Betty Crocker, and my friend Donna for the recipe.

Caribbean Spiced Ribs

From Betty Crocker’s Cookbook

3 pound pork loin back ribs

2 Tbsp instant minced onion

1 tsp ground mustard

1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

½ tsp ground allspice

½ tsp ground cinnamon

½ tsp garlic powder

1 medium onion, sliced

½ cup water

1 ½ cups barbecue sauce

In a small bowl mix instant minced onion, mustard, red pepper flakes, allspice, cinnamon and garlic powder. Rub mixture into ribs. Cut ribs into 4-inch pieces if they have bones. Layer ribs and sliced onion in slow cooker. Pour water over ribs. Cover and cook on Low heat for 8-9 hours. Remove ribs from cooker and drain and discard liquid from cooker. Pour barbecue sauce into shallow bowl and dip ribs into sauce. Place ribs in cooker and pour remaining sauce over ribs. Cover and cook on Low for 1 hour. Revel in carnivorous delight. Serves 6.

3 comments:

  1. They look great. My husband would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Some Jamaican jerk sauce and I'm good;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, your photograph has given me your rib craving problem. I need a slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!