Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Grows Attempt to Grow a Garden


A weekday off seems like a special treat, so much more indulgent than a weekend off, perhaps because of its relative rarity. My husband and I both took the day off yesterday, and off to the nursery we went, in search of some finer plants to put in pots and try our hand at growing our own food. We have limited space on our patio, but certainly don't want to be left out of the organic, home-grown food club. So this is what we came home with:

- 3 kinds of tomato plants (heirloom varieties - all gorgeous!) including: Siletz (good basic red type), Red Pear (little pear-shaped sweet ones), and Health Kick (yellow tomatoes with 50% more lycopene than your average tomato).
- 2 types of strawberries (Eversweet and Quinault)
- 1 yellow bell pepper plant
- In the herb window box (which I found adorable and had to buy): rosemary, flat leaf parsley, lemon thyme, mint, and basil.

I can't wait for things to start growing and to reap the benefits of our labor! I'll let you know how it goes, unless it dies due to lack of sun (which worries me because of the angle of our apartment). I'm hoping for a delicious growing season! Any gardening advice for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!