Thursday, February 4, 2010

Portuguese Green Soup (Caldo Verde)

My husband and I both found ourselves sniffling today. We both had a few long, exhausting days this week that left us fighting off colds. Fortunately, my weekly menu announced that today was the day I had planned to make soup using the homemade chicken broth I froze a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know how big of a difference in flavor the homemade broth made, but this was an amazing soup. I've made several soups over the course of the past months, and this has been my favorite thus far.

I pumped up the heat to clear our our sinuses and used hot linguica, a dash of red pepper, and some mild Spanish paprika. I also substituted kale for the collard greens - it's in season and very good for the body! Gotta get those dark leafy greens in somehow and this is the tastiest option I've found yet. You can tweak this recipe too, just so long as you make it - you won't regret it! (Recipe comes from "The Bon Appetit Fast, Easy, Fresh Cookbook".)

Portuguese Green Soup (Caldo Verde)

2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch collard greens, center stems cut away, leaves thinly sliced
1 lb. fully cooked spicy sausage (such as linguica, andouille, or hot links), cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
5 3/4 c. low-salt chicken broth
1 3/4 lb russet potatoes, peeled, diced
1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add greens and saute until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add sausage and saute 5 minutes.

Simmer soup uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer 2 cups soup (without sausage) to processor. Blend until smooth; return to pot and bring to simmer. Mix in crushed red pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Makes 4 main-course servings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!